Friday, July 01, 2011

Gospel In Life

I will get back to Becker later. I have been temporarily sidetracked by a study group reading Gospel in Life by Timothy J. Keller. Early in the book, Mr. Keller discusses our proclivity to put other things in our life ahead of God. He calls this a violation of the first two commandments. 

His chapter on idolatry guides the reader to conclude as John Calvin that the human heart is a "perpetual factory of idols." Keller does yeoman's work to first get the reader to identify and confront all personal idols, including the idols of religion, irreligion, power, approval, family, comfort, control, work, politics, dependence, independence and a host of others.

Keller then helps the reader displace idols by first critiquing two typical styles of repentance. The "moralizing approach" which says, "Your problem is that you are doing wrong. Repent!" The "psychologizing approach" says "Your problem is that you don't see that God loves you as you are. Rejoice!"

Keller says that the moralizing approach is insufficient because I still hold the belief that even if high moral standards are achieved the particular idol that was treasured (comfort, power, approval, etc) is still treasured and I am therefore a failure. The psychologizing approach is also insufficient because even when I tell myself that God loves me, I do not have the treasured thing, and I am still a failure.

Keller suggests the "Gospel approach" which says, "Your problem is that you are looking to something besides Christ for your happiness. You have been worshiping an idol and rejecting the true God. Repent and rejoice!" Keller then makes a dramatic statement.

In a process of identifying idols; recognizing the emotional symptoms of idolatry (fear, guilt, anger and worry to name a few); and praying and meditating on Gospel truths, one must replace the treasured thing with the one true God. Keller states, "If you really want to change, Jesus Christ must become your over-mastering positive passion."

I am so far into these statements right up to this last one which means whenever I feel anxiety, guilt and anger; I have an underlying passion that is not God. Replace the habit/idol with the over-mastering positive passion that is God. OK, but I'm not sure I'm up to the task.

I look around me for others who may have mastered this and I see many who, like me, profess a faith and who yet are worried, afraid, mad and guilty. Not many exhibit an over-mastering positive passion for God. From my contemporaries, I turn to history and I hear the same expressions of doubt and worry. I am hoping that the rest of the five chapters in the book will move our study group to finding this replacement over-mastering passion.

What are your thoughts? Leave comments. All comments are welcomed but I am most interested in stories about replacing idols with an over-mastering positive passion for God.

No comments: