Friday, April 29, 2011

Life Is Terrifying

According to Sam Keen, there are four interlacing thoughts to Becker that form the basis of what some call the science of evil. The first thought: life is terrifying.

We know this to be true. With eyes wide open, it does not take too long to witness overwhelmingly terrifying events. Horrific acts are so much a part of the news media, we either become inured to the amount of pain and suffering that is inflicted upon us or we avoid the media.

Daily life outside of the news media is also filled with pain and suffering for all of us. I commute 60 miles a day at highway speeds and I have witnessed the slowing down of time as great calamities unfolded before my eyes. Pets die. Family members die. Jobs are lost. Death stalks us all.

The Psalms speak volumes on this too. The first two psalms declare God's righteousness but by the third psalm, a "woe is me" tone is set. In the first line King David laments, "Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! (Psalm 3:1). The psychology of the Psalms is the fundamental psychology of the human condition. We are magnificent creatures. Our minds are organic engines capable of glimpsing the fullness of God's creative prowess. Yet, we bleed. There is a vast distance between the being that is me imagining the edge of the known universe and the being that is me with a viral infection and vomiting every hour.

No comments: